Yes, We are proud that we are JSPS fellows...

Every year, many researchers from India are coming to Japan under the JSPS Fellowship Programs or Scientist Exchanges.After completing their tenures, some of them return to India, others remain in Japan and still others go on to different countries to pursue their research activities.>>more

Useful links

Indian Cricket clubs

Indian Embassy in Japan

Address of the Indian Embassy Japan
2-2-11 Kudan Minami,
Tokyo - 102-0074
Telephone: 00-81-3-32622391-97
Fax: 00-81-3-32344866

The consular section of the Indian Embassy in Tokyo deals with visa work, the issue of new Indian passports, the rendering of other passport and consular services and the general welfare of the Indian community.

Applicants residing in Hokkaido, Tohoku(Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Akita, Yamagata, Fukushima), Kanto(Ibaraki, Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Yamanashi, Tochigi), Shinetsu(Nagano, Niigata), Hokuriku(Toyama, Ishikawa, Fukui), Tokai(Gifu, Shizuoka, Aichi) and Okinawa areas are required to apply for passport, visa and consular services at the Consular Section of the Indian Embassy in Tokyo at the following address:

Consular Section,
Embassy of India.2-2-11,
Kudan Minami, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo- 102-0074
Tel: (03)3262-2391
Fax: (03)3239-2449
Telex: 232-4886 INDEMB JP

Applicants residing in the Kinki (Shiga, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Nara, Wakayama), Chugoku(Tottori, Shimane, Okayama, Hiroshima, Yamaguchi), Shikoku(Tokushima, Kagawa, Ehime, Kochi), Kyushu(Fukuoka, Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki, Kagoshima) and Tokai(Mie) areas should contact at the Consulate General of India, Osaka-Kobe at the following address: -

Consulate General of India, (In Osaka region)
Semba IS Building (10th Floor)
9-26, Kyutaro Kyutaromachi, 1 chome,
Chuo-ku, Osaka-541-0056
Tel: 06-6261-7299/9299
Fax: 06-6261-7799

Timing of Indian Embassy Japan Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Acceptance of documents 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Delivery of documents (visa, etc.)

Useful phone numbers in Japan

NTT (Telephone Dept. ) Information Service (in English) 0120-364463 Inquiries (English, free of charge): Dial the following inquiry number.

  • KDDI 0077-777
  • Japan Telecom 0088-41
  • Cable & Wireless IDC 0066-11
  • NTT Communications 0120-506-506
  • Powered Com (Tokyo Denwa) 0081-151

Lost and Found (in Japanese)

  • Metropolitan Police Lost and Found Office 03-3814-4151
  • Tokyo Taxi Center (for receiving complaints) 03-3648-0300
  • Narita Airport (Terminal No.1) 0476-32-2105
  • Narita Airport (Terminal No.2) 0476-34-5220
  • Haneda Airport (for items left in lobbies, restrooms, or other airport facilities) 03-5757-8107
  • JR Tokyo Station 03-3231-1880
  • JR Ueno Station 03-3841-8069
  • JR Shinjuku Station 03-3354-4019
  • Tokyo Metro Co., Ltd. 03-3834-5577
  • Toei Subway and Buses 03-3812-2011


  • Calls to Shinkansen Bullet Trains 107
  • Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) Flight Information 03-5757-8111
  • New Tokyo International Airport (Narita) Flight Information 0476-34-5000
  • Tokyo City Air Terminal Information 03-3665-7111
  • JR East InfoLine(in English, Chinese and Korean) 03-3423-0111
  • Keisei Electric railway (Keisei Skyliner)(in English, Japanese) 03-3831-0131
  • TCAT Limousine Bus Reservation Center 03-3665-7220
  • International Telegrams(KDDI) 0053-519 or 0120-44-5124
  • Postal Information Service (in English) 03-5472-5851/2
  • Japan National Tourist Organization JINTO Tourist Information Center (in English, etc.) 03-3201-3331

Culture Shock, Isolation, and Getting Burned--Just 10 year ago in Japan there were few westerners outside the big cities. Now there are mobs of them everywhere. Even so, if you're new here, there may be times that you feel out of it, or have a problem that you just can't solve by yourself. But you don't have to feel helpless if you have a medical problem. There are now many associations that can help you. Here are a few valuable phone numbers to remember in Japan (most of them are in the Tokyo area).

  • Japan Nat'l Tourist Organization--Tourist Info Ctr. 3502-1461
  • Japan Helpline (24 hrs, toll free in Japan) 0120-46-1997
  • Immigration Japan--Tokyo Immigration Info Ctr. (M-F (9:30-12,1-4:30PM) 3213-8523
  • American Ctr. (Tokyo) 3436-0901
  • Tokyo Medical Info Service 35285-8181
  • Relief Ctr. for Human Rights 3581-2302
  • TELL Community Counseling Service (Mon-Fri) 5721-4455
  • HELP-Asian Women's Shelter 3368-8855
  • Tokyo English Lifeline 5721-4347
  • Arusa No Kai (Nagoya) 052-935-9448
  • Asian Friend (Osaka) 06-634-2127
  • LAAF (Fukuoka) 092-716-0577
  • Komustaka (Kumamoto) 096-352-3030

Basic rules for disposing recyclable materials

Newspapers and magazines: Separate the items by type, tie them in stacks with string crossways and take them to a recycling association.

Paper cartons: Wash them with water, cut them open and dry them. Then take them to a nearby recycling association or to the collection box at a nearby supermarket, retail store, public facility, etc.

Other paper: As processed paper such as thermal paper for word processors and faxes, carbon paper and photographs, cannot be recycled, dispose of them with burnable waste.

Aluminum and steel cans: Wash them with water and lightly crush aluminum cans. Then take them to a recycling station or nearby recycling association.

Dry-cell batteries: Take dry-cell batteries that contain mercury to the collection box at City Hall, District Administration office or a sub-branch office. Return rechargeable (nickel-cadmium) batteries and button type lithium batteries to the collection box of a store selling batteries.

Glass bottles: Take these to a recycling station (take returnable bottles such as beer bottles, to a nearby liquor store). Other glass: As bottles that once contained oil or medicine, or other types of glass cannot be recycled, dispose of them with non-burnable waste.

Old clothes and cloth: Give still-wearable clothes a second life by taking them to a recycle shop, flea market, bazaar or similar location.

Oil used for deep-frying, etc.: This is collected twice a month by community assembly halls and other public facilities.

Fallen leaves and food waste: If you squeeze out the water and bury it in the garden, this material will return to the earth as compost. The City will help obtain compost container and subsidize the purchase of a kitchen waste treatment unit.

Food trays: Take these to the collection box at a nearby supermarket, retail store, etc.

PET bottles: Take these to the collection box at a nearby supermarket, convenience store, etc. Furniture and electrical appliances: Try selling these at recycle shops, flea markets, etc. Also check your ward's newsletter for an area where you can give away your used items.

Notes: "Paper Cartons" refers to milk and juice cartons, but not the ones with the thin aluminum layer on the inside (such as those holding corn soup).

"Food Trays" refers to the styrofoam trays used for sale of meats/fish, etc. and generally only the white ones are recycled, but definitely do not include the ones that have a hard coating with some design.

"PET bottles" refers primarily to bottles containing beverages, but most soy sauce bottles and some other plastic bottles have the same triangle PET mark with a "1" inside and can also be recycled the same way.

What if I get sick in Japan? (Health Insurance)

Getting ill in a foreign country is nothing to take lightly -- and medical expenses in Japan can be quite costly as well. If you live in Japan you can choose to enroll in Japan's National Health Insurance. Under this plan you pay a monthly premium, as well as a 30% deductible of your medical/dental bills immediately on treatment; the government pays the other 70%.

You can sign up for it at your local city ward or town office, and aside from that there is never any paperwork or red tape to go through. The ward or town office determines a monthly premium to pay based on your previous year's income. If you're new to the plan the amount can be quite low -- around 1350-4500 yen per month. However, every April at the next premium adjustment you may find the amount escalating sharply, even if your income changes very little. A first year of 4500 yen a month, a second year of 13,500 yen a month, and a third year of 35,000 yen a month is typical (Japan has an exploding number of old-timers). Cosmetic/elective surgery, child birth, and abortions are not covered, however.

Previously, some ex-pats who planned to leave Japan and tried to cancel their government insurance were given the standard response to Japanese, "You can't cancel it." However, the truth is you can, and if someone lays that response on you to may have to reiterate that you're leaving and push a little more for them to terminate the insurance. They may ask to see your air ticket to prove you're actually leaving. So if you plan to change from the government plan to a different plan while in Japan you may have to do it before you take a vacation abroad somewhere. If you're definitely staying in Japan long-term, and your employer won't pay the insurance rate for you, then you might consider private insurance either with Japanese or foreign companies.

Sending money overseas

It is possible to transfer money overseas from banks and post offices. To use such services you will need to present some form of personal identification, such as a copy of the original text of your foreign resident registration card, Certificate of Completion of Foreign Resident Registration (limited to cases of remitting amounts of ¥2 million or less), foreign resident registration card passport or driver's license.

Sending Money from a Bank

Banks offer three types of overseas remittance:

  • Telegraphic Transfer
    This is the fastest method of sending money. Notification of the transfer is sent electronically (by "telegraph") and the party that requests the transfer usually bears the cost of the transfer and any handling charges.
  • Ordinary Transfer
    With ordinary transfers, notification of the transfer is done by airmail.
  • Demand Draft
    A demand draft is like a check for a specified value that is purchased at a bank and mailed directly to the recipient, who can then cash it through a bank.

Sending Money from a Post Office

International remittance is a service offered at all post offices handling savings deposit accounts (excluding post offices which only provide mailing services). Although it is possible to send money to any of approximately 85 countries and 12 regions in the world, the number of countries to which telegraphic transfers can be made is limited.

There are three methods of sending money:

  • Sending money directly to a person's address.
  • Sending money to a person's postal book transfer savings.
  • Sending money to a person's bank account (19 countries and 2 regions).

For more information concerning sending money overseas (for English guidance):
Contact the Customer Advisory Office,
Tel: 0120-085420
(Mondays through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)

Family fun attractions (Tokyo region)

Tokyo Disneyland - Amusement Park
1-1 Maihama, Urayasu-Shi
Chiba-Ken, 279, JAPAN
81-4-73 54 0001,
81-33-366 5600,
Fax: 81-473-545240

It is a re-creation of Disneyland in California. Open every day 9 am to 10 pm April through August and from 10 am to 6 pm September through March. (From September through November it closed on Tuesdays, and from December through February it is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays except holidays.

Ueno Park

Surrounding the Tokyo National Museum and Ueno (Tokyo) Zoo, this park encompasses true Japan in its temples, shrines and it even features an aquarium. It is well known for being the prime cherry-blossom-viewing spot.

Tokyo Sea Life Park (Kasai Rinkai Suizokukan)
6-2-3 Rinkai-cho,
Edogawa-ku, Tokyo

Tokyo Sea Life Park is a giant aquarium that simulates life in the depths of the ocean. Exhibits featured include the spectacular rooftop glass shark tanks and much more.

Edo-Tokyo Museum
Yokoami, Sumida-ku

Edo-Tokyo Museum is the newest and one of the best historical museums, depicting life in Tokyo from the 17th century through the end of World War II. Open Tuesday-Saturday 10 am to 6 pm (Thursday and Friday until 8 pm). Closed Dec 28-Jan 4.

Wild Blue Yokohama
Heian-cho, Tsurumi-ku,

Wild Blue Yokohama is an indoor beach that is open year round. It is a perfect example of Japan's ability to harness the forces of nature in new and innovative ways.

Drum Museum Taikokan 2-1-1 Nishi Asakusa, Taito-ku 3842-5622.

Drum Museum Taikokan presents a hands-on exhibit of drums from around the world. Very small but interesting personal collection, housed upstairs in a traditional festival costume-and-instrument store in an old district of Asakusa.

Japanese Sword Museum
4-25-10 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku

Visit the Japanese Sword Museum for a display of modern and ancient swords.

Kogeikan National Museum of Modern Art
3 Kitanomaru Koen, Chiyoda-ku

The National Museum of Modern Art offers a collection of Japanese art created since the Meiji era (AD 1868-1912). Nearby Crafts Gallery displays Japanese handicrafts.

Doll Museum 8 Yamashitacho, Naka-ku

The Doll Museum (Yokohama Ningyo no le) houses a large collection of Japanese dolls and dolls from 130 other countries.

The Sony Plaza

Visit the fascinating showrooms of the Sony Building. Visitors can test many products, as well as some products, which have yet to be released.

Children's Castle

Children's castle is an activities center for kids. Featured are playrooms, AV rooms, a swimming pool (children only), library, computer room, and so much more.

Nippon Budokan
2-3 kitano maru Koen

The Budokan was built as a martial arts arena for the Tokyo Olympics of 1964. It still hosts tournaments and exhibitions of judo, karate and Japanese fencing, as well, as concerts.

Kotsu Hakubutsukan Transportation Museum
1-25 Kanda Sudacho

This is a great place for children! Exhibits explain the early development of the railway system and include a miniature layout of the rail services. This museum also features Japan's first airplane.

Kite Museum
1-12-10 Nihombashi

Kite flying is an old tradition in Japan, and the kites in this museum include examples of every shape and variety. For the children, the museum offers a special kite-making workshop.

Kokuritsu Kagaku Hakubutsukan (National Science Museum)
7-20 Ueno Koen

Everything from dinosaurs to moon rocks is on display at this conventional natural history museum.

Goto Planetarium
2-21-12 Shibuya

The planetarium has daily shows displaying the movements of the solar system, the constellations, and galaxies projected on a dome 65 ft. in diameter. Adjacent to the planetarium, visitors can explore the museum of astronomy.

Koraku-en Amusement Park
1-3-61 Koraku

This amusement park offers attractions that the kids are going to love! The chief attractions of which are a giant roller coaster and a "circus train".

3-25-1 Koyama

This large amusement park has four roller coasters, a haunted house, and seven swimming pools. It also features an authentic Coney Island carousel, refurbished and rescued by a Japanese entrepreneur.

Tama Dobutsu Koen
7-1-1 Hodokubo

This wildlife park gives animals freedom to roam, and most exhibits are separated by moats. Visitors can also take an adventurous tour of the Lions' Park on a minibus

Education in Japan (Kindergarten and schools)

We do have an Indian school here too.. India international school in Japan (Tokyo) affiliated to CBSE

Japan operates a 6-3-3-4 system of education. This means six years of elementary school from the age of six, three years of junior high school from the age of 12, three years of senior high school from the age of 15, and four years of university from the age of 18. Compulsory education consists of the six years at elementary school and three years at junior high school for a total of nine years. Many children also attend kindergarten or nursery school before entering elementary school. For all of these institutions, the new school year starts from April.


Kindergartens provide education for children from three years of age until the time they enter elementary school.

Enrollment Procedures

1. Public Kindergartens

(tuition payment required)
For more information:
Contact the relevant section of the Board of Education of your local ward or municipal office.

2. Private Kindergartens

Application Location:
Directly with the particular kindergarten (tuition payment required) .

*Tuition Subsidy System:
Part of the tuition fee is paid through subsidies.

Parents of children aged between 3 and 5 years attending private kindergartens.

For more information:
Contact the relevant section of the Board of Education of your local ward or municipal office.

Elementary and Junior High Schools

Foreign children are eligible for admission to public elementary and junior high schools.

Enrollment Procedures

1. Public Elementary/Junior High Schools

Application Location:
The Board of Education of the local ward or municipal office where you live.

The board of education will process this application and then notify the parents, which school the child may attend. While there is no tuition for classes, there are fees such as for school lunch.

For more information:
Contact the relevant section of the Board of Education of your local ward or municipal office.

2. Private Elementary/Junior High Schools

Applications for entrance to private elementary and junior high schools should be made directly to the particular school.

Senior High School


Applicants must be 15 years of age or older, and have plans to complete (or have already completed) nine years of school education either in another country or in an international school in Japan and currently live in Tokyo.

Persons attending junior high school in Japan need to check with the specific school of attendance.

Entrance Examinations

1. Metropolitan High Schools

Examination Subjects : Language (Japanese), Mathematics, English, Social Studies and Science.
Some schools may also require an interview, essay or practical test.

For more information:
Contact either the particular school or the Office of Entrance Consultation Regarding Metropolitan Senior High Schools,
Tel: 03-5320-6755

2. Tokyo Metropolitan International Senior High School(for foreign students in Japan)

Entrance Examination Periods: In January (for entrance in April) and in July (for entrance in September). Examination Subjects: Essay (in either Japanese or English) and interview.

For more information:
Contact Tokyo Metropolitan International Senior High School, Tel: 03-3468-6811

3. Private High Schools

For more information:
Contact the Association of Private Junior and Senior High Schools in Tokyo,
Tel: 03-3263-0541

Things you should know about driving in Japan

  • How long can I drive in Japan using an international driving permit?

You can drive legally for a maximum of 12 months after your entry into Japan. If you leave Japan for 3 consecutive months, the clock starts again.

  • So, I don't need to apply for a license until I have been in Japan for 12 months?

If you receive a traffic infringement while you are driving on your International Driving Permit, it is the general understanding that you pay the fine and can then forget about it. The truth is, the police record this infringement against your name and once you pass your driving test when converting to a Japanese license, you may be told that your new license is automatically suspended for up to 2 years. A minor traffic offense may lead to a big problem in the future if you do not obtain a Japanese license early. This includes simple parking tickets.

  • Which Nationalities are required to take a written and road test?

Requirements for a road test is not based on your Nationality but rather which country your licensed was issued in. The easiest way for us to answer this question is to let you know in which countries of issue licenses are not required to take a written or road test. People with licenses issued from the following countries are not required to take a written or road test to convert their home country issued driver`s license into Japanese driver`s licenses: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and South Korea. Keeping this answer focused on the majority of the nationalities that make up our client base, people from the U.S., South Africa, China and Brazil are required to take both a written and road test. As well as those from Africa, Asia, South America, Eastern Europe and Russia.

  • My U.S. license has expired but I have a valid international driving permit. Can I convert this into a Japanese driver's license?

No, this is impossible; there is no chance that you can do this. Are you driving now? If so you are driving illegally even if you have only lived in Japan for less than 12 months as your international driving permit is invalid without a valid driver's license. We suggest that you renew your U.S. license as it will be easier to do this than getting a Japanese driver's license without a valid driver's license issued in your home country.

  • I heard that for Japanese citizens the driving course is different each day and you will not know what course you must do your test on. Is this the same for foreigners who are converting their home country license into a Japanese one?

What you heard is correct and depending on the city Japanese citizens must also take a road test off the course track on the open road. However for people who are converting their home country's driver's license into a Japanese one, the road test is much more uniform. Some cities have two courses and other minor variations, but our road test simulation training tool takes advantage of and points out these differences. If you memorize our tool specific to the course in your area you will know exactly what you need to do.

  • Does the road test really test driving ability?

Kind of, but not really. It is on a track, with few other cars on the road. It is more like an obstacle course. You need to do certain things at certain places. If you do the right things at the right time you will pass your test. This is where our road test simulation tool comes in very useful as it teaches you everything you need to know. The course has not changed for many years. One day they may. We will provide the client who informs us of this a reward and a big discount!

  • I live in Kobe but I heard that the road test in Osaka is easier. Can I take my road test at any center I want?

No, you may not. You must apply for license conversion and take the road test at the center of the prefecture or city that is listed on your Alien Registration Card.

  • My international driving permit is valid for 3 years and I will only be in Japan for 2 years. So why must I go through the hassle to get a Japanese driver’s license?

You purchased your 3 year international driving permit online correct? Make sure to read the U.S. Embassy homepage section about fraudulent International driving permit sales on the web as real international driving permits are only valid for 1 year. Regardless, the new Japan traffic act states that you can only drive legally using an international driving permit, up to 12 months from your entry date into Japan. Bottom line, you need to obtain a Japanese Driver’s license.

  • I don’t have time to go through the hassle. I am not going to get my Japanese driver’s license. If I get pulled over I will just pretend that I don’t speak any Japanese and will show the police officer my international driving permit. He will not know what the heck it is anyway and will not know how long I have been in Japan and will just let me go, don’t you think?

There is a chance, depending on who pulls you over, that you are correct. However, be aware of the following: 1. Your entry date into Japan is printed on your Alien Registration card which he will ask to see. 2. We have been hearing from clients recently who were pulled over for speeding that and were given fines of 200,000 yen for driving illegally without a valid license so obviously the officer in these cases knew about the law change. 3. and most importantly, our research taught us that if you are in a car accident that your insurance company may not cover the costs of damage to your car if you were driving without a valid Japanese driver’s license. You will be at risk if you do not get your Japanese driver’s license.

  • Will I need to surrender my home country's driver’s license when I get my Japanese Driver's License?

No you will not need to surrender it.

How to convert Indian license to Japanese license

In Japan, whenever you drive an automobile, you are required to carry your driver's license with you at all times. Procedures for changing your driver's license from your home country into a Japanese license can be applied for at the Driving License Examination Division at your Prefecture's Police Headquarters (License Center). After applying, if you pass both a written and a practical examination, you will be issued a Japanese driver's license. You cannot change an International driver's license to a Japanese driver's license. For more details, please make an inquiry with a person who can speak Japanese.

Documents and other items required

  • Your driver's license from your home country. The date of issue or date of renewal must be printed clearly, and you must have resided in your home country for at least 90 days since the date of issue.
  • A Japanese translation of your license (1) only translations by embassies, consulates or the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) are recognized. * JAF charges a fee of 3,000 yen per translation. Please inquire about languages translated.
  • Your passport (If you have more than one, please submit all of them.)
  • 1 photograph (license size: 3cm×2.4cm) full frontal view of your upper body half without a hat.
  • Your alien registration certificate or a document that shows that you have applied for your alien registration certificate.
  • Fees: For an ordinary 1st class license (Prices may be changed without notice.) Every time you take the driving examination. Application fee 2,400 yen (A car rental fee of l ,100 yen must be paid for the practical examination) If you pass the practical examination ? Issuing fee l ,750 yen

    Some times you have to produce certificate of originality of your Indian license obtained from the issuing authority of your license. (A letter showing all the information provided in the license is true and signed by the issuing authority would be sufficient). This certificate is almost needed for the book type and paper type licenses. Some times card type licenses will get exemption from producing this certificate.

    *If you have an international license or a Japanese license, please bring them with you.

Steps from application to issuance

Submission of documents > Written examination > Reserve a day for the practical examination > Practical examination > Driving license is issued

The written examination can currently be taken in English (normally there will be 10 questions, you have to get at least 7 of them correct ), Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Persian (Iranian) and Korean. Everything, besides the written examination, is conducted in Japanese, so if you do not feel confident in your own Japanese ability (at least the words using for right turn, left turn, go forward etc.), please go with someone who understands Japanese.

You can get some help from this web site:

You can do some practice for written test here in the web site:

English speaking doctors (for more information please visit web site)

Japan's medical services and facilities enjoy high international reputations. In general, hospital reception desks are open 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday.

If language is a problem while being treated in a Tokyo area hospital, telephone translation service is available for foreign patients: +81-3 5285-8185.

As with everything else, medical and hospital services is very expensive in Japan. Medical caregivers often insist upon payment in full at the time of treatment or concrete proof of ability to pay before treating a foreigner. So check if your health insurance policy covers trips to Japan.

If you need more information, call the medical information service at Tel: +81-3 5285-8181. English, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Spanish are spoken. Or contact the AMDA International Medical Information Centers at Tel: +81-3 5285-8088.

Regd. No.: TVM/TC/1472/2013
© 2014 privacy policy. all rights reserved.
designed & maintained by akeydesigns